3 Tips To Help You Find The Perfect Vacuum
July 20th, 2022
In our homes, there is no cleaning tool more utilized than the mighty vacuum cleaner. In fact, the global vacuum cleaner market size was valued at US 11.47 billion in 2021, highlighting just how many households and businesses require this cleaning tool. Like sliced bread and the Internet, vacuum cleaners are not going away anytime soon and are only getting more powerful, durable, efficient, and stylish.
Top vacuum cleaners in Calgary like Dyson, Miele, and Beam have become household names across the world and are highly sought after. But with so many options available, how do you sift through all of the information and find the perfect vacuum cleaner for you? Here’s what we tell our customers when they come to our vacuum store in Calgary and Airdrie.
1. Determine what type of vacuum cleaner you need
First and foremost, determine what type of vacuum cleaner you prefer. The main types of residential vacuum cleaners on the market include:
- Canister vacuums – Canister Vacuums have a separate body, which is usually attached to a lighter-weight hose and wand. The wheeled body comes in many different sizes, shapes and weight; it holds the main motor, dust canister, and filters. This body is typically attached to a medium-to-long plastic hose, which then attaches to a metal wand and its various attachment heads. This type of vacuum is suitable for cleaning a wider variety of spaces; from your warm plush fuzzy rugs to the hard-to-reach dust bunnies hiding behind the crevices underneath your couch. Because the weight of this vacuum is distributed between the canister and the powerhead, they are a lot easier to maneuver around with and probably the best choice to have in a multilevel household with lots of stairs.
- Upright vacuums – The mighty upright vacuum is the most popular vacuum type on the market right now. In fact, if you’re looking for a full-sized vacuum, you’re most likely weighing out your options between an upright model or a canister. Both are champions in the residential vacuum world – but due to their all-in-one design, the upright models tend to have an edge on carpet cleaning and ease of storage. They tend to be heavier; and this weight is utilized as an aggregate to the vacuum’s power brush, making it easier to glide down the carpet.
- Robotic vacuums – The innovative robotic vacuum might just be the new confidant to save your day. Now, it won’t replace the full power of what a canister or an upright vacuum might offer you but, if you have pets and a space with minimal carpets/rugs, this ‘set it and forget it’ type of tool might just be the right fit for you and your family. Robotic vacuums have a tracking system that allows them to navigate around your space, ensuring that the little dust bunnies around your home won’t multiply like real bunnies! Of course, if you have a multilevel household, you might also need a few of these guys as they have yet to learn how to climb stairs. Overall, if you’re looking at vacuums; a robotic vacuum is a great complement to have with either an upright or canister model. It has little-to-no-maintenance and having one can create an extra sense of freshness and sparkle in your home.
- Handheld/Stick Vacuums – Though very portable and easy to use and hold, these vacuums are meant to be used as a supplement for your full-powered models. Because of their small and lightweight design, its portability is unmatched by any other model. Whether you’re cleaning your child’s cheerios from the table or trying to tidy up your dog’s fur from your SUV, these handheld heroes are the perfect tools to attack the mess. Again, they’re not meant to replace your full powered vacuums, but they are a good and quick tool to have when handling small and uncomplicated debris. They’re typically battery powered and most recently have been improving in their design to have more longevity in their battery life, in comparison to older handheld models.
- Central Vacuums – A central vacuum unit is a built-in vacuum system that’s installed in your home. Instead of a portable vacuum, you would attach a hose to one of the inlets installed throughout your home. The dirt is suctioned into the hose, passes through the tubes, and is deposited into the unit’s canister which is typically installed in the garage or basement. Central vacuums deliver some of the most powerful, convenient, and durable performances on the market. With the unit installed away from living areas, central vacuums are quiet, provide up to 5x more powerful suction compared to portable vacuums, are easy to manoeuvre, and can increase your home’s value. They are certainly a worthwhile investment!
2. Create a budget and take advantage of payment options
Vacuum cleaners can run you anywhere from a hundred dollars to upwards of thousands of dollars. However, you do get what you pay for – remember, cheaper doesn’t always mean cost-effective if you’re needing to replace your brand new vacuum only months later. Some of the highest-priced units on the market can last you a lifetime if they are maintained properly.
With that said, we recommend setting a budget for your perfect vacuum and taking advantage of new payment options. At Vacuum Specialists, we offer interest-free payments through PayBright – you can get instant approval and it doesn’t affect your credit score.
3. Choose your seller wisely
As a professional vacuum store in Calgary and Airdrie, we sometimes hear “I can get this on Amazon for cheaper”. Now, if you’re happy with a relatively low-cost product and are ok with gambling on the quality of the vacuum you buy, then Amazon is fine. But, buyer beware as you might end up with costly issues after the return policy expires.
Some of the biggest advantages of buying from a specialized store are the added benefits and incentives such as:
- Same-day vacuum repairs and maintenance
- In-home vacuum installations in Calgary and Airdrie for central vacuums
- Available accessories and parts
- Service warranties
- Product warranties
- Seniors discount
- Lowest price guarantees
In addition to the above, you’ll also be speaking with a knowledgeable vacuum expert who can give you excellent recommendations on the right type of vacuum for your cleaning needs. With a little bit of research and making a more informed choice, you can find a durable product that lasts a few years and one that makes cleaning easier, quicker, and more enjoyable.